Have you always dreamt of studying in international universities of Australia having global recognition? Stuck about how you will fulfill your study abroad goal?
Well, if you are confused about why you should study in Australia and the cost of living & financial aid available in Australia, then here’s some piece of vital information for all the passionate students.
Transitioning to a new life abroad is very rewarding and an amazing life changing experience. Australia is one of the top study destinations across the globe. It offers enriching experience to the international students because of its friendly people, laid-back nature, excellent education system, and high standards of living.
Here’s why you should choose Australia as your study abroad destination!
- Popular Study Destination: Australia is the third most popular destination for international students and offers cultural diversity, friendly natives, and high quality of education.
- Global Recognition: Australian education system has impressive international reputation and graduates from Australian schools are highly sought after by employers.
- Diverse Study Options: Institutions in Australia offer a wide variety of courses and degrees in various technical and non-technical fields. International students can choose between universities, vocational education, and English language training.
- Focus on Technology and Research: Australia is at the forefront of new technology and innovations. This is one of the most appealing aspect of the country for international students and they can take advantage of the country’s impressive technology and research resources.
- Work Opportunities: International Students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week while they are studying in Australia which is a great opportunity for students who want to earn money while studying and gain work experience in their field of interest.
- Pleasing Climate: As Australia is a vast country, its climatic conditions vary greatly because of wide array of environmental conditions. Since it is located in the Southern Hemisphere, the seasons in Australia are opposite to what you normally experience in Asia or Europe.
- Society, People and Culture: Australia has a highly varied demographics. It has a plethora of people speaking different languages, practicing different religions and sharing different histories. International students studying in Australia will get a chance to experience diverse and fascinating cultures.
- Cost of Study: Tuition fees for academic programs in Australian educational institutes are generally less when compared to their counterparts in the USA or UK, making it a preferred choice for many intentional students. Universities also offer exciting international scholarships and bursaries to the students.
- Accommodation: Finding a place to stay in Australia is not difficult as international students will have a lot of options to choose from. Although some Australian universities do provide their students with hostel facilities, majority of the students prefer to live off-campus in various home-stay places, private hostels, or on rent. Staying in a hostel generally provides international students an opportunity to mingle with other students during their study.
- Transportation: The transportation system in Australia is very large and well maintained as its huge size demands an extremely efficient system. Students can choose to travel by taxis, buses, trains, planes etc.
What is the Average Cost of Living in Australia ?
The cost of study in Australia is comparatively cheaper than countries like USA or UK. However, the cost of living and other expenses vary based on the location, with urban city areas being costlier than towns or rural ones. Sufficient funds are required for covering various costs like lodging and food expenses, medical insurance in addition to tuition fees of the study program. To get a general estimate of the amount required, it is advisable to go through prospectuses and other information brochures of prospective universities and institutes.
Provided below are some of the costs that a person living and studying in Australia generally incurs.
Expenses on Accommodation*
- $80 to $135 per week on guesthouses and hostels
- $70 to $250 per week on shared rental houses
- $80 to $250 per week on campus accommodation
- $110 to $270 per week on home-stay
- $100 to $400 per week on rental
- $10,000 to $20,000 a year in boarding schools
Expenses on other day-to-day items*
- $80 to $200 per week on eating out, grocery items, etc
- $60 to $100 per week on electricity and gas bills
- $20 to $50 per week on internet and phone bills
- $10 to $50 per week on public transport
- $150 to $250 per week on fuel and maintenance of car (if purchased)
- $50 to $100 per week on miscellaneous entertainment
All costs are in Australian dollars*
Financial Aid for Studying in Australia
Many students, in order to meet their financial needs, take up jobs to help them through. One way to be sure of ample funds is to apply for scholarships or financial aid. If one fulfills the eligibility criteria, then it is advisable to avail such opportunities.
Some sources of funding are:
- Home Country: Countries usually have scholarships for meritorious students who want to go and study abroad. If a student’s home country has such provisions for an overseas education in Australia, then it is worthwhile to apply for the same, provided he/she fulfills the eligibility criteria. Apart from government scholarships, private organizations and companies also sometimes provide scholarship under Corporate Social Responsibility schemes.
- Australian Government/Universities: There are number of scholarships offered by Australian Government as well as Australian Universities for meritorious students. Some of the Government funded scholarships are Australia Awards Scholarship, Endeavor Postgraduate Scholarship Awards, International Postgraduate Research Scholarships, among many others. Australian universities and colleges too have many program specific scholarships for international students. It is advisable that students inquire about available scholarships and other financial aids available at the time of admission.
Still confused if you should choose Australia as your study abroad destination? If you are ready to take the plunge, we have expert international education counsellors and regular Australia Education Fair Events to clear all your study abroad queries. We can also help you in giving detailed information about university and course selection, visa documentation, application processing and guidance on finances.