When it comes to studying abroad, UK universities are always at the top of the list for international students. The United Kingdom is the most recommended destination for the majority of international students. It has some of the most popular universities in the world which offer global outreach to their students, and high-quality education. Degrees from UK universities are also highly valued around the world, hence students do not have to struggle to find jobs all over the world.
As the travel problems caused by the Covid-19 pandemic continue into 2021, overseas students are unsure when they will be able to return to study in the UK.
It can be difficult to keep up with the latest information on travel restrictions with near-constant updates and rule changes from country to country. This is especially true for international students, who have had to manage online learning while also keeping up with the most recent travel announcements.
UK Travel Restrictions for International Students
Details of new travel regulations that allow safe travel to the UK from different countries were announced by the UK Government.
Note: To enter the United Kingdom, you must have evidence of a negative COVID-19 test, complete the passenger tracking form and submit it 48 hours before your arrival. The test must only be taken as a printed document, email, or text on your device three days before your departure.
India added to Amber List
Indian Students arriving at The United Kingdom can go directly from the airport to their universities from August 2021 or choose private accommodation for a 10-day quarantine period. In the three days prior to flying to the UK, students would also have to take a Covid 19 test in India. After arrival, further COVID19 tests are necessary on day 2 and day 8 in the UK.
UK Travel Restrictions Update
- The UK is well ahead in the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines. It is also predicted to be one of the world's first fully vaccinated countries and has already met the expectations to be safe for students and workers since summer 2021, which means that September 2021 is safe.
- International and EU students in the United Kingdom can have access to vaccines available throughout the country, which means that they can be vaccinated faster in the United Kingdom than they do in their own country and protect themselves upon their return home.
UK Quarantine Rules for International Students
- International students can travel to the UK, according to current guidelines. Everyone must fill in the passenger tracker form to travel to the United Kingdom and send it within 48 hours of their arrival.
- You must have evidence, as of January 2021 to enter the United Kingdom wherever you travel, with a negative covid 19 test. This test should only be done three days before your leave. Even if you are vaccinated against Covid-19, you must do that.
UK Travel Restrictions From India
- Acceptance figures for the UCAS ( Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) come days after India was transferred from the UK's COVID-19 Red List to Amber list.
- This would make a huge impact on Indian students planning for their courses in England as they do not need to quarantine for 10 days at substantial additional costs in a government-run facility.
- They may instead quarantine at their chosen place for the requisite 10 days, which for many will be their university accommodation or a friend's or family's home in the UK.
- According to Amber list guidelines, all vaccinated travellers should provide an address where they would get 10 days of self-isolation in their obligatory passenger tracking form.
- A negative COVID-19 test is required prior to travel and on Day 2 and Day 8 of their quarantine, a COVID test is required for all Amber list arrivals. In England, the option to pay for a test on Day 5 allows students to terminate their student quarantine at an early stage if negative.
Health, Safety & Security:
- The UK higher education sector works tirelessly to ensure that the physical and emotional wellbeing of international students is given priority. Students can contact their university directly for health and safety information.
- The NHS (National Health Service) is accessible to both domestic and international students. No fee will be applied to international students' testing or treatment of Covid-19.
- International students can receive treatment that clinicians deem to be immediately necessary or urgent at no cost. Universities in the UK have modified the establishment of mixed induction training, to guarantee that students are welcomed and that social interactions are safe.
UK Universities to Cover Quarantine Costs
Here is the list of Universities that are covering Quarantine costs for International students
- Coventry University Main campus
- Northampton University
- University of York
- University of Bristol
- Oxford Brookes University
- Study Group
- Cranfield University
- Leeds University
- Brunel University
- Newcastle University
- Heriot Watt university
- Bangor University
- Essex University
- Huddersfield University
- Queen Mary UOL
- University of Portsmouth
- university of Westminster
- University of Sheffield
- Leeds Beckett University
- University of Surrey
- University of Leicester
- Swansea University
- Queen University Belfast
- Westminster University
- Aston University
A number of UK institutions have declared their reimbursement of hotel quarantine and testing expenses up to a total amount of £1,750 for International students, who have to complete a period of quarantine for managed accommodation. Click here for further details on the Universities that are covering Quarantine Costs.
Entry & Exit Requirements
- Various relevant commitments and bilateral relations are used to internationalise higher education between India and the UK. These include initiatives to further linkages between the two countries in research and innovation, student mobility, and academic exchange.
- While most UK universities are now available for face-to-face study, many still provide digital opportunities for students who cannot visit the nation in September 2021 for the beginning of a new academic year.
- You will, however, have the opportunity to apply for the new visa if you begin your studies online this autumn: if you arrive in the UK by 6 April 2022, you will be able to apply for the Graduate Route visa.
- Universities are making progress toward internationalisation of education; in the present academic year, international students are learning at the same world-class institutions, with great teaching and career opportunities. Students have access to world-class academic professionals, as well as a virtual worldwide community.
If you are a foreign student interested in studying in the United Kingdom and want guidance and assistance at this unprecedented moment, please read on for the most up-to-date information.
AECC Global is keeping a close eye on local conditions and government guidance in the UK, as well as in all of our global locations. If you need to speak with someone, please contact our team and set up a free online consultation with AECC Global right now.
Will my UK student visa be affected if I don't travel?
Students who have been given a visa but do not intend to go must notify the school where they are scheduled to attend so that their visa status can be changed. If students desire to postpone their studies, they must apply for a new visa because their existing visa does not cover the complete time of study for the following course.
What plans are currently in place for the 2021 academic year?
All UK universities are actively developing preparations for a variety of probable situations for the 2021/22 academic year. Campuses are likely to be completely operational, however, some components of hybrid learning may continue to exist. For university-specific measurements, Please Contact AECC Global.
Are university applications still being processed?
UK universities are accepting applications as normal in preparation for the September 2021 and Jan 2022 intakes.
Are scholarships still being offered by UK universities?
Scholarship allocation will remain unchanged, and several UK institutions are now preparing updated scholarship arrangements for the 2021/2022 admissions.