Learn everything you need to know about Germany Student Visa and get end to end expert guidance from us
Turn your Study Abroad Dream to Degrees Abroad in Germany
Germany Student Visa from India
Are you a student who have decided to pursue higher education in Germany? Then we welcome you to a land of European Powerhouse, celebrated for its rich history, diverse culture, technological innovation and much more. Located in central Europe, the country is renowned for precision engineering and cultural contributions, with a diverse landscape ranging from picturesque villages to bustling modern cities. It is also a country where you can embrace the true spirit of innovation, immerse yourself in a melting pot of cultures and embark on a higher education journey in the heart of Europe.
Coming to Education, the Deutsch country has world-renowned universities, cutting-edge research facilities and diverse academic programs, combined together offers a conducive learning environment for students seeking excellence in their chosen fields.
Whether aspiring students want to delve into Engineering or explore the depths of Arts and Humanities or learn the secrets of groundbreaking scientific discoveries, German universities are a haven. Be ready to discover the boundless opportunities in a country that ranks one among the bests in Global University Rankings.
The German Student Visa is a sought-after gateway for international students to pursue their academic dreams in one of Europe's leading education destinations. To apply for a German Student Visa, prospective Indian students must first secure admission to a recognised educational institution in Germany. Once accepted, they can initiate the visa application process through the German embassy or consulate in their home country.
Latest Updates of German Student Visa for Indian Students
Indian students make up the second-largest group of international students in Germany. In 2020, German higher education institutions received nearly 60,000 applications from Indian students during the winter semester.
With this interesting fact, let us now see the latest updates on German Student Visas:
- If you are accepted into a German university or language school, you must apply for a German Student Visa – also known as a National Visa – at one of the German Missions in India.
- Indian students must have at least €11,208 (around Rs. 8,96,400 Indian Rupee) to apply for a German student visa. You must open a blocked bank account in a German bank and transfer the money there.
- As per the latest update, Indian students must include a certificate from the Academic Evaluation Centre (APS) while applying for a German Study Visa. The certification will be provided to the students after Germany’s academic evaluation staff assesses their academic records.
- To prove your German proficiency, students must also submit a Certificate of German Language Proficiency in level B2. You should also submit the original certificate along with two copies.
- Finally, students must collect all the required documents for the visa application. These include a
- A valid Indian passport
- Two copies of the passport’s bio page
- German national visa application form
- Letter of acceptance to the university, language school, or preparatory college
- An APS certificate
- Three photos for Visa
- Your academic certificates/qualifications
- Your Resume,
- Proof you can fund your studies (blocked account)
- Health insurance for a German visa, Demand Draft, Declaration form for additional contact and legal representation information and a printout of the document checklist signed.
- The German Diplomatic Missions in India might ask for additional documents if they see fit.
Types of German Student Visa for Indian Students
Student Visa (Visa for Academic Studies):
The Student Visa is intended for students who have been accepted into a recognised German university or institution of higher education. It allows students to pursue full-time academic studies in Germany. This visa is typically granted for the duration of the chosen study program.
Language Course Visa (Visa for Language Learning):
This type of visa is for students who plan to attend a language course in Germany to improve their language skills before starting their academic studies. It allows students to stay in Germany for a specific period, typically up to one year, for intensive language training at a recognised language institute.
How much does a German Student Visa Cost for Indian Students?
The cost of a German student visa for Indian students is €75 for adults and €37.50 for minors. The fee should be paid in INR through a Demand Draft after finishing the interview at the Embassy or Consulate. The exact exchange amount can be found on the website of the German Missions.
Type of Visa
Application Fee in Euro
Student Visa for Academic Studies
Pursuing full-time higher education at a university
Language Course Visa
Intensive language course preparation
Germany Student Visa Requirements for Indian Students
Before you can begin your studies in Germany, you must obtain a student visa. The requirements for a German student visa vary depending on your country of origin and the length of your stay. The German Student Visa Requirements include a duly filled out and signed national visa application form, a valid national passport, a birth certificate, a minimum of three recent passport-sized photographs and much more.
Here we’ll provide all the information you need to successfully apply for a German student visa and take the first step towards achieving your academic goals in Germany.
- A valid Indian passport.
- Two copies of the passport’s bio page.
- German national visa application form. Submit two completed and signed copies.
- Letter of acceptance to a university, language school or preparatory college. The language of instruction for the courses should be specified in the letter. Submit the original letter along with 2 copies.
- If the acceptance letter does not specify that you are proficient in the language of instruction, also submit a Certificate of Language Proficiency in level B2, at least. Submit the original certificate along with two copies.
- APS certificate issued by the APS (Academic Evaluation Centre).
- Three visa photos.
- Your academic certificates/qualifications. Submit the original copy of any of these documents along with two copies.
- Your Resume.
- Proof you can fund your studies (blocked account). In most cases, you must submit a Confirmation for a Blocked Account or (if applicable) a scholarship. If someone is sponsoring you, you should submit a Letter of Sponsorship.
- Travel health insurance for a German visa.
- Demand Draft.
- Declaration form for additional contact and legal representation information. Submit two completed and signed copies.
- Printout of the document checklist signed.
What are the English Proficiency Tests Required for Receiving German Student Visa from India?
International students applying for a German Student Visa for academic studies in English-taught programs are required to provide proof of their English language proficiency. The commonly accepted English language tests for this purpose are:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): A minimum score of around 80 to 100 is typically required by many German universities.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): A minimum score of around 80 to 100 is expected by many German universities.
- Cambridge English Qualifications (C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency): A minimum score of 180 to 191 in C1 Advanced and a minimum score of 200 to 230 in C2 Proficiency.
It's essential to check the specific language requirements of the German university or program you are applying to, as the required test scores may vary depending on the institution and the course of study. Some universities may have their own language proficiency tests or may accept other English language qualifications.
Level of Study
English Proficiency Test
Required English Skill Level
Bachelor's/Master's (English-taught programs)
TOEFL iBT, IELTS, C1 Advanced, C2 Proficiency
Minimum overall score of 6.5 to 7.0 in IELTS, around 80 to 100 in TOEFL iBT, or minimum scores of 180 to 230 in Cambridge English Qualifications (C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency)
Doctoral Studies (English-taught programs)
TOEFL iBT, IELTS, C1 Advanced, C2 Proficiency
Similar to Bachelor's/Master's requirements; minimum overall score of 6.5 to 7.0 in IELTS, around 80 to 100 in TOEFL iBT, or minimum scores of 180 to 230 in Cambridge English Qualifications (C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency)
Language Course (preparatory language studies)
TOEFL iBT, IELTS, C1 Advanced, C2 Proficiency
Minimum scores may vary depending on the language institute; typically similar to Bachelor's/Master's requirements.
Which documents are required for German Student Visa from India?
Applying for a German student visa can seem a daunting task, but with the right preparation and documentation, the process can be smooth and straightforward. To apply for a German student visa, you’ll need to provide a number of important documents that demonstrate your eligibility to study in Germany.
- Visa application form: Completed and signed.
- Valid passport: With at least two blank pages and a validity of at least three months beyond the intended stay in Germany.
- Passport-sized photos: Recent and meeting the German visa photo requirements.
- Letter of admission: An acceptance letter from a German university or educational institution confirming your enrollment in a full-time study program.
- Proof of language proficiency: Test scores or certificates to demonstrate your proficiency in either German or English, depending on the language of instruction of your chosen study program.
- Blocked account confirmation: Proof of sufficient funds to cover your living expenses in Germany. This can be in the form of a "blocked" bank account, showing that you have enough money to sustain yourself during your stay.
- Health insurance: Proof of health insurance coverage at least 30,000 EUR/ INR 23,86,000 coverage, with a validity for at least 3 months.
- Financial support: Documents to demonstrate that you have the financial means to support yourself during your study period in Germany.
- Accommodation proof: Confirmation of your accommodation arrangements in Germany.
- Academic certificates and transcripts: Copies of your educational qualifications and academic records.
- CV/Resume: A current curriculum vitae or resume.
- Statement of Purpose: A letter explaining your motivation for studying in Germany and your future career plans.
- Declaration of accuracy of information: A signed statement affirming the accuracy of all provided documents.
How to Apply for the German Student Visa Online from India?
The application process for a German Student Visa involves several steps, but it does not have an online application option. The application process usually takes place in person at the German embassy or consulate in students’ home country.
Here is a general overview of how to apply for a German Student Visa:
- Get an acceptance letter from a German university or college.
- Open a blocked bank account to prove your financial means.
- Complete the student visa application form and take your biometric visa pictures.
- Collect all the required documents, such as travel insurance, academic qualifications and passport.
- Make an appointment with the German Embassy or Consulate in your country and pay the visa fee.
- Submit the application and attend the visa interview.
What is the Step-by-Step German Student Visa Process?
The German Student Visa process is as same as the application process for the visa mentioned above.
Processing Time for the Germany Student Visa
The processing time for a German student visa can take up to 25 days. However, it also depends on the German Embassy as well as the country you’re applying from. Sometimes, it may also take 6-12 weeks, with the longest processing time being 3 months.
It is also important to note that the German student visa processing time varies depending on individual circumstances. But, it generally takes several weeks to a few months to receive a decision on the application.
How to Write SOP for German Student Visa from India?
A Statement of Purpose (SOP) is an important part of your German student visa application. It is a document in which you need to convincingly demonstrate your motivation for coming to Germany, to seek admission to your specific study program and explain why you should be given the opportunity to study in Germany.
Here are some tips for writing an SOP for a German student visa:
- Conduct extensive research on German universities, courses they offer and research projects that may be relevant to your background.
- Discuss your experiences, hurdles and expectations that led you to apply for the specific course or University.
- Keep your content simple and concentrate on your research abilities, educational achievement and professional experience.
- Write your essay in the form of a story about your life and explain how choosing this program is the next logical step in your career path.
- Instead of just stating your passions, explain how they developed and why you want to pursue them further and how this program or opportunity will allow you to do so.
Germany Student Visa Rejection
Despite having a high success rate for student visas, the German government may reject your application for a number of reasons. Some of the top reasons for student visa rejection for Germany include:
- Lack of Financial Stability
- Lack of Satisfactory Academic Achievements
- Inability to Meet the Language Requirements
- Unrelated Choice of Study
- Your Profile Is Deemed Unfit
- Poor Interview Performance
- Lack of Sufficient Health Insurance
- Incomplete Set of Documents.
Submitting invalid or incomplete documents and applications, lack of proper proof of financial situation and many other factors can also lead to the rejection of your German Student Visa application. The student visa could also be rejected if the issuing administration feels the student cannot cope with the prevalent education system in Germany.
Renewal of Germany Study Visa
If you are an international student in Germany and your student visa is about to expire, you must apply for an extension of your residence permit.
Here are the steps to renew your student visa in Germany:
- Find the Foreigner’s Authority (Ausländerbehörde) in your area.
- Register your address.
- Obtain health insurance.
- Prepare your documents, including enrollment certificate, insurance certificate, accommodation contract, bank statement, passport and a passport size photo.
- Apply to the Foreigner’s Authority.
- Pick up your student residence permit card.
It is important to start the renewal process early, as it can take several weeks for the new residence permit to be issued.
How Can AECC help in your Visa application?
Frequently asked questions
IELTS is not mandatory for a German student visa, but it is one of the most common ways to prove English proficiency.
The time between biometrics and receiving a German student visa varies and can take upto several weeks.
A Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) is generally optional for a German student visa.