IELTS for Work

IELTS for Work

IELTS for Work

Opting to try IELTS for Work is a great choice if you choose to start your career or wish to work abroad. The main reason IELTS stands out from the other English Language proficiency exams is that the exam is trusted by 11,000 organisations in the countries like the US, the UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand. These countries sternly believe that an IELTS Test taker who has scored a high band is more competent in the English Langauge and can effortlessly sustain in their working environment. 
Students aspiring to work in the above-mentioned countries, must attend the IELTS - General Training exam and score a band expected by the professional bodies of their preferred country. 
Students who have already attended the IELTS Academic exam for their university admission are required to attend the IELTS - General Training exam for their career establishment. Because, the professional bodies of the above-mentioned countries require evidence of students' English skills to determine whether they can pursue their profession confidently in their English-speaking environment. 
But, also, it depends on the professional bodies of the countries to decide whether a student should either give IELTS Academic or IELTS General Training to start working in their company. IELTS Academic is included for career establishment because the format tests the students’ competence and ability to sustain in a professional environment, where English is the primary language.

Which Professions Require IELTS?

Almost all professional bodies of the countries mentioned above accept IELTS and trust its credibility in determining the competency of the students in the English Language.
Professional bodies that accept IELTS for Work are,
  • Health Care - Nursing, Medicine and Pharmacy.
  • Accounting
  • Engineering
  • Law
  • Veterinary Practice
  • Finance
  • Public or Governmental Organisations
  • Construction
  • Aviation
  • Energy Development sectors.

IELTS for Work - Professional Registration

Professional Registration is nothing but seeking legal permission to work as an immigrant. All the major English-speaking countries have their own work-visa policies to allow an international student or an immigrant to work in their country. The process is different for an international student who is already studying in their country and an immigrant new to the country.

Since this blog is focused towards students wanting to study on a student visa or already studying, the below work-visa processes mentioned are for them.

Once completed, students must concentrate on changing their student visa to a work visa. The process to do that is mentioned below for each country.

Let us see the requirements for each country.

USA - Requirements

  • Get employed in an accredited US company before your Student Visa expires.
  • Your company will submit a Labor Application Form on your behalf and get it approved by the U.S. Department of Labour.
  • Fill in the form I-129 to seek permission to work as an immigrant and your company will submit it to the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Once it’s approved, fill the form DS-160, pay the visa fee, submit all the required documents, including your IELTS - General Training score certificate and clear your visa interview.
Finally, obtain your H1-B work visa to start working.

UK - Requirements

  • Get employed in a company that the Home Office of the UK recognises.
  • Ask your employer for the Certificate of Sponsorship. They will provide you one when they confirm your employment.
  • You must be paid a minimum salary, and it must be more than £25,000.
  • You must submit your English Language proficiency score certificate.
  • You must provide your CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) Reference number.
  • Submit all the other required documents to the Visa Consulate office and clear the interview.
  • Obtain your Graduate Visa, or the Skilled Worker Visa, to start working in the UK.

Canada - Requirements

  • Graduate from a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
  • Apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) to work in Canada.
  • Apply before 180 days of your graduation date.
  • Submit all the required documents to the Visa consulate office.
  • Get Your PGWP or Open Work Permit to work in Canada.
To work in Canada, students don’t need an employment offer. With an Open Work Permit, they are allowed to work for any employer irrespective of the course they studied. They can also stay and find work during the entire 3 years using the PGWP.

Australia - Requirements

  • You must have studied a CRICOS-registered course in Australia. CRICOS stands for Commonwealth Registers of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students.
  • Must have taken an English Language Proficiency exam.
  • Provide evidence for staying more than 2 years in Australia.
  • Apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 (Post-Study Work).
  • Submit all the required documents and attend your visa interview.
  • Get your Visa.

New Zealand - Requirements

  • Complete a Degree level 7 or above to be eligible to apply for the Post Study Work Permit.
  • Your qualification should be on the Eligible Qualifications List the New Zealand government put forth.
  • Get employed in an occupation similar to the course you studied.
  • Submit all the required documents to the Visa Consulate office.
  • Attend your Visa interview and clear it.
  • Get your Post Study Work Permit.

IELTS - Vocational Training

Students who want to attend Vocational Training Programmes, which are non-academic, meaning purely technical and practical classes, must attend the IELTS - General Training exam and clear it with the average score set by their preferred universities.

Is IELTS your preferred choice to demonstrate your English Language skills? Then, you can choose to work in any of the major English-speaking countries. At AECC, we can help you enhance your English skills through the best English Language trainers. We conduct IELTS coaching classes in major cities of India at an affordable cost. Reach out to us now and book your IELTS class.

FAQs - IELTS for Work

Yes. Taking the IELTS - General Training exam and clearing it with the preferred score makes students eligible to work in abroad countries like the US, the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Speak to our Consultant